A growing number of scholarships aimed at supporting members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community are becoming available. While LGBT scholarships are relatively common in some countries, such as the US, they’re rare or unheard-of in other countries. So this type of funding may or may not be available, depending on your intended study destination.
For an overview of some of the scholarships for LGBT students currently on offer, check out our country-by-country breakdown below. Bear in mind that some schemes require you to be a resident or current student.
LGBT scholarships to study in the US
- The Queer Foundation – LGBT scholarships open to all students, anywhere in the world, who have not yet graduated from high school and expect to attend college or university in the US.
- The Pride Foundation – scholarships for current and future leaders in the LGBTQ and straight ally community from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington.
- The LEAGUE Foundation – provides scholarships for LGBT students entering their first year at an institution of higher learning.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals – scholarships for LGBT students or active allies of the LGBTQ+ community, to support undergraduate or graduate degrees in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
- The Point Foundation – a large scholarship-granting organization aimed at supporting LGBTQ students, assessed on academic merit.
- PFund – LGBT scholarships for Minnesota residents or students who are enrolled in a post-secondary academic program.
- Roy Scrivner Research Grants – student grants for research which encourages the study of LGBT family psychology and LGBT family therapy.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays – provides awards for those who identify as LGBTQ or as a straight ally.
- Human Rights Campaign Scholarship Database – a good resource for searching for LGBT scholarships and other funding opportunities by state.
- The Rainbow Scholarship – open to LGBTQI US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as undergraduates at US universities, who plan to study abroad for at least four weeks between May 2015 and May 2016.
- Pride of the Greater Lehigh Valley Rainbow Scholarships – LGBT scholarships aimed at high school seniors who plan to attend a higher education institution in the nine US counties, as well as current students in these areas.
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health, Education and Research Trust – awards scholarships to LGBT students in the health sciences, in the US.
- The Gamma Mu Foundation – provides support for gay men who want to further their education at a college, university, or through a vocational or professional training program.
- The Kay Longcope Scholarship Award – provides up to $3,000 tuition assistance to an LGBT student of color who plans a career in journalism and is committed to furthering NLGJA’s mission of fair and accurate coverage of the LGBT community.
- Johnson & Moo – one LGBT scholarship available for a student currently enrolled at a college, graduate school or trade school in the US.
LGBT scholarships to study in Canada
- University of Alberta Michael Phair Leadership Award – a scholarship for LGBTQ and two-spirited students at the University of Alberta.
- The Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose – bursary awards for LGBTQ and two-spirited students in any accredited post-secondary education program within the province of Alberta.
- The Bill 7 Award – scholarships for LGBTQ and two-spirited students who are in financial need and studying at any post-secondary institution in Ontario.
- The LOUD Foundation – scholarships for LGBTQ students enrolled at Canadian universities, who are also Canadian citizens or residents.
- Mark S. Bonham Scholarship – open to LGBTTI Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who are studying film and/or video.
- The Pride Education Network – open to secondary school students in British Columbia who are preparing to attend a university or college in Canada.
- University College Toronto – LGBT scholarships available include the LGBTOUT Student Award and the Rainbow Triangle Alumni Association Award.
- Out On Bay Street – two Student Leadership Scholarships available for LGBTQ students enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary program of study.
LGBT scholarships to study in Australia and New Zealand
- The Pinnacle Foundation – scholarships for young LGBTIQ people who desire to undertake full-time education at a public or private secondary school (final year) or public institution of higher education in Australia.
- The University of Queensland LGBTIQ Bursary – LGBTIQ scholarships for both Australian students and international students who are currently studying at the University of Queensland and experiencing financial hardship.
- GABA – scholarships for GLBTI students enrolling in a full-time degree course at a recognized tertiary-level institution. Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, and have lived in New Zealand for at least the previous two years.
Other LGBT scholarships:
- Crossing Borders – a summer academic program in Mexico which connects students of various backgrounds and ethnicities and includes Spanish language training. Includes a Diversity Scholarship for ethnic minority and LGBT students.
- The National Gay Pilots Association Education Fund – provides scholarships for students who are actively involved in the LGBT community, who have earned at least a private pilot certificate. It is not necessary to be a citizen of the US to apply.
Source by topuniversities